Adriel Missionary Baptist Church was organized on Sunday, March 29, 1896. It was built in the Crosby Community by two brothers, Thomas Daniel Crosby and Lemuel Powell Crosby. Adriel Church, a general store, Crosby School, and the Peavine Railroad made up the center of activities in the community.
The name Adriel was given by Alice Crosby. ADRI = Flock, EL=of God (Hebrew).
Adriel Church was moved to its present location on Old Highway 25E when the TVA built Cherokee Lake in 1941. The building was carefully removed and rebuilt as to preserve its original decor.
In 1989 the church completed an outdoor pavilion 28’ X 80’.
On May 20, 1990, Adriel broke ground for the expansion and renovation of the church building. The expansion included 3,312 square feet added: including 3 large classrooms, a work room and 2 additional bathrooms downstairs, one large classroom, a church office, and additional seating of 98 in the sanctuary. The renovation included new carpet, new lighting, new ceiling and new pews for the sanctuary. The project was completed on March 24, 1991, and the debt paid in full in July of 1993. A dedication and note burning was held on Homecoming Sunday, September 19, 1993.
On October 7, 1995, the church broke ground for a 96’ X 40’ Fellowship Hall with a full size basement. On the last Sunday in June, 2000, the church held a dedication and note burning for the Fellowship Hall.
Adriel celebrated its 100th birthday on the last Sunday in March, 1996.
The present pastor is the Rev. Tim Collins. The church is a member of the Grainger County Baptist Association. The church has a very active Sunday School, Youth Department, WMU, Brotherhood, Children’s Choir, and Adult Choir. Church services are as follows: Sunday School at 9:30 a.m., Sunday Worship Service at 10:45, Sunday Evening Worship at 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday evening services at 7:00 p.m. Visitors are always welcome at Adriel Church.